LSA/CRLT Large Course Initiative
LSA / CRLT Large Course Initiative
Members of the LSA faculty are invited to apply to participate in the W2023 Large Course Initiative (LCI). Organized as a faculty learning community facilitated by CRLT, this year's program invites faculty to come together to discuss questions such as:
- What approaches can be used in large courses to enhance student engagement and learning, and make optimal use of class time?
- How can we improve assessment in large courses, particularly with an eye toward equity and student success?
- How have campus conversations of equity and inclusion influenced your thinking about your large course?
At the conclusion of the program, participants will have an opportunity to apply for up to $2000 to support future large course innovations.
The Large Course Initiative is open to faculty (tenured, tenure-track, and lecturers) who:
- Currently teach, or will teach, a large course (defined as those with 75 or more students) in the next two years;
- Have not previously participated in the LSA Large Course Initiative or Foundational Course Initiative.
The program will be held in-person on the following four Friday mornings: 1/27, 2/10, 3/10, & 3/24 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. An additional session on 3/31 will be required for those pursuing the funding opportunity. Each session will be preceded by an optional breakfast from 9:00 - 9:30 a.m.
The application deadline for the program is Monday, November 21, 2022. Applicants will be notified about selection no later than Monday, December 12. To apply, use the following link: Large Course Initiative Application.
Participating faculty commit to: 1) Being available to attend all sessions; 2) Completing a small amount of preparatory work before each session (e.g. reading a short article, watching a short video, and/or completing a web-based task); and 3) Observing a colleague's U-M course.
If you have any questions or inquiries about this program, please contact Deborah Meizlish (email@example.com) or Bethany Morrison (firstname.lastname@example.org) at CRLT.
What LSA Faculty Have Said About the Large Course Initiative
"It was so great to connect with others, and learn from my colleagues. I definitely came away with ideas to enhance my teaching."
"Helpful resources, shared ideas, and great conversations with other faculty."
"It was so valuable to have some designated time to talk about teaching--its challenges and our innovations. I really valued being able to connect across disciplines--turns out, these boundaries are more flexible than we often think."