LSA / CRLT Large Course Initiative
Members of the LSA faculty are invited to apply to participate in the W2022 Large Course Initiative (LCI). Organized as a faculty learning community facilitated by CRLT, this year's program invites faculty to come together to discuss questions such as:
- What approaches can be used in large courses to enhance student engagement, improve equitable assessment of student learning, and make optimal use of class time?
- What new opportunities or challenges for large courses have become visible as we work through the pandemic?
- How have campus conversations of equity and inclusion influenced your thinking about your large course?
At the conclusion of the program, participants will have an opportunity to apply for up to $2000 to support future large course innovations.
The Large Course Initiative is open to LSA faculty (tenured, tenure-track, and lecturers) who:
- Currently teach a large course (defined as those with 75 or more students) or will be developing a new large course to be offered in the next two years;
- Have not previously participated in the LSA Large Course Initiative or Foundational Course Initiative.
The program will be held on the following four Friday mornings: 1/21, 2/11, 2/25, & 3/18 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. An additional session on 4/8 will be required for those pursuing the funding opportunity. Program modality will be finalized with input from participants (possibilities include all in-person, all remote, some type of hybrid).
The application deadline for the program is Friday, November 19, 2021. Applicants will be notified about selection no later than Wednesday, December 8, 2021. To apply, use the following link: Large Course Initiative Application.
Participating faculty commit to: 1) Being available to attend all sessions; 2) Completing a small amount of preparatory work before each session (e.g. reading a short article, watching a short video, and/or completing a web-based task); and 3) Observing a colleague's U-M course.
If you have any questions or inquiries about this program, please contact Deborah Meizlish (email@example.com) or Kate Livingston (firstname.lastname@example.org) at CRLT.
What LSA Faculty Have Said About the Large Course Initiative
"It was so great to connect with others, and learn from my colleagues. I definitely came away with ideas to enhance my teaching."
"Helpful resources, shared ideas, and great conversations with other faculty."
"It was so valuable to have some designated time to talk about teaching--its challenges and our innovations. I really valued being able to connect across disciplines--turns out, these boundaries are more flexible than we often think."