This page provides resources to support excellent, innovative instruction in a variety of teaching settings. You’ll also find links to more general resources addressing effective teaching principles and techniques.
- Case-based teaching
- Discussion-based teaching
- Experiential learning and field work
- Group work and teamwork
- Service learning
- Teaching with archival, botanical, and museum collections
- Academic integrity concerns
- Students in distress
- Classroom disruptions and incivility
- Handling controversial topics
- Motivating Students to Read and Write in All Disciplines (pdf): This document provides advice and a list of strategies for motivating students to read and write. Strategies include invention journals, reading like a writer, and the précis.
- Clinical teaching
- Global Learning
- Lab teaching
- Large classes and lectures
- Online teaching
- Teaching Effectively With GSI-Faculty Teams (pdf): This document is useful for those on GSI-faculty teams and includes common questions about students' perceptions, questions about responsibilities and expectations, and advice for working with faculty to maximize student learning.
- Learning and Teaching During Office Hours (pdf): This resource outlines the importance of holding office hours, as well as strategies for encouraging students to visit and solving problems during office hours.