CRLT provides resources and support to members of the U-M Ann Arbor community who provide training and professional development to the University’s Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs)
Please note: Programs and services specifically for the College of Engineering community are provided by CRLT-Engin. GSIs in the College of Engineering should use CRLT-Engin teaching orientations, and teaching consultation/observation services.
Join the Community
To receive CRLT’s regular communications about GSI training related matters at U-M, please fill out this information form so that we can add you to our mailing lists.
Reach out for a Consultation
CRLT is always available to consult with the U-M Ann Arbor campus community on GSI training practices and processes. To request a consultation please submit this Google: GSI Training Consultation Request
Use the links below to review orientations, programs and services for GSIs as well as resources and scheduled programs for the U-M GSI training community. We invite you to take special note of CRLT’s comprehensive E-Guide* for GSI Training and Development at the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor.
- Campus-Wide GSI Teaching Orientation and Engineering GSI Teaching Orientation
For more information about GSITO specifically for staff and faculty who directly support GSI training in their home departments, please take a look at our Guide to GSITO for GSI Contacts
- Programs for GSIs and Graduate Students and Programs for GSIs and Graduate Students in Engineering
- Programs for the GSI Training Community (e.g., Graduate Student Mentors (GSMs), Faculty and Staff Coordinators of GSI Training)
- E-Guide* for GSI Training and Development at the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, with sections on:
- Appointing GSIs
- Supporting GSIs via CRLT Services
- Supporting GSIs via Unit Graduate Student Mentors (GSM): How to set up a unit GSM program
- Planning a Unit GSI Development Program, including a curated list of resources to support inclusive and equity-focused teaching practices
- Resources for Developing Effective Instructional Teams
- Providing Feedback to GSIs for Instructional Development
*Please note: U-M authentication is needed to access this resource.