The Center for Research on Learning and Teaching (CRLT) will offer Winter 2023 GSI Teaching Orientation (GSITO) as an online Canvas course available beginning Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 12:00 p.m. In addition to engaging with asynchronous modules, GSIs will have the opportunity to participate in an online, synchronous practice teaching session (GSIs will choose from practice teaching sessions offered the week of January 3, exact dates and times TBD). Completion of online GSITO must occur by 11:59 p.m. Sunday, January 8, 2022.
How GSIs Will Enroll in GSITO:
- If you already have a GSI appointment: We will receive your name and contact information from your department and we will directly add you to the GSITO Canvas site which will launch on 12/13 at noon. We will also send you an email with instructions for selecting a Practice Teaching session.
- If you will not have a GSI appointment in W2023, do not yet know whether you will have a GSI appointment, or you wish to participate in a portion of GSITO again: Please fill out this form.
The online Canvas course portion of Winter 2023 GSITO will contain the following modules
- Module 1 - Welcome to Teaching at U-M
- Remarks from the Dean of Rackham
- GSI Role and Responsibilities, including policy information such as:
- religious-academic conflicts
- prohibited instructor-student relationships
- grading, FERPA, and academic integrity
- Module 2 - Act for Equity: A Presentation by the CRLT Players
- Module 3 - Teaching for Equity During the First Week and Beyond
- Module 4 - Mental Health and Well-being for GSIs and Students
- Module 5 - Preparing for Practice Teaching*
- Choose at least 2 of the following teaching topics:
- Module 6 - Planning a Class Session
- Module 7 - Engaging Students in Face-to-Face and Online Classes
- Module 8 - Teaching for Accessibility
- Module 9 - Technology for the First Days of Teaching
- Module 10 - Facilitating Group Work to Maximize Learning
- Module 11 - Grading Assignments and Exams
- Module 12 - Graduate Employees' Organization (GEO) Resources
*In addition to these asynchronous Canvas modules, GSIs will have the opportunity to participate in an online synchronous practice teaching session. Please note that GSIs must complete Module 1-5 before participating in a practice teaching session.
If you have any questions about GSITO, please email us at email@example.com
**An important note about winter break: From 12:00 pm (noon) on Friday, December 23, until 8:00 am on Tuesday, January 3rd, we will not be able to respond to GSITO emails or requests. We will respond promptly when we return to the office on January 3rd. Please make note of this as you plan for and schedule GSITO-related activities.
Winter 2023 GSI Teaching Orientation (GSITO) is an online Canvas course available beginning Tuesday, December 13 at 12:00 p.m. In addition to engaging with asynchronous modules, GSIs will have the opportunity to participate in an online, synchronous Practice Teaching session (GSIs will choose from Practice Teaching sessions offered the week of January 3, exact dates are TBD). Completion of online GSITO must occur by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, January 8.
The Canvas course will be available beginning Tuesday, December 13 at 12:00 pm. You will receive an automated Canvas email on December 13 notifying you of your enrollment in the CRLT GSI Teaching Orientation. You will need to accept your role as a student to access the Canvas Course.
CRLT provides university-wide GSI Teaching Orientations as a service to the campus community. You should check with the individual(s) who oversee GSI appointments in the department in which you will be teaching to find out whether participation in GSITO is required for your GSI appointment.
CRLT does not determine whether GSITO is required for new GSIs, nor does it host a make-up event. Check with the individual(s) who oversee GSI appointments in your department to find out what its training requirements are. If there is no formalized policy regarding make-up events, CRLT is happy to consult with departments on establishing such a policy. GSI Coordinators can contact GSITO directors (firstname.lastname@example.org) to set up a time to discuss this issue.
CRLT is committed to making our orientation as accessible as is possible. If you would benefit from accommodations to aid you in accessing the online orientation, please let us know as soon as possible by emailing email@example.com.
This webpage will be updated each semester with information about the upcoming orientation. Fall 2023 GSITO dates are TBD.