2020-2021 CRLT GRADUATE STUDENT INSTRUCTIONAL CONSULTANT (GSIC) PROGRAM
The application for 2020-2021 GSIC Program is now open! If you are interested in applying, please submit your information on this Google form.
Are you a committed instructor looking for a UM community passionate about excellent, inclusive teaching? Do you want to develop your own teaching and help others do so as well? If so, consider joining the Graduate Student Instructional Consultant (GSIC) program!
The Center for Research on Learning and Teaching is recruiting GSICs for Fall 2020, with the expectation of continuing through Winter 2021. GSICs collaborate with CRLT on activities designed to promote excellence in graduate student teaching across the University:
- Work with GSIs to advance strategies for inclusive teaching across the university
- Continue your own development as an instructor
- Conduct midterm student feedback sessions and other consultations with GSIs
- Collaborate with peers in a community of practice around teaching and learning
- Gain practical experience in the field of educational development
A subset of GSICs are also identified as Instructional Technology GSICs (IT-GSICs) due to their interest in using technology to support teaching. These IT-GSICs pursue additional training in the use of instructional technologies, plan and facilitate one or more workshops on using technology for teaching each semester, and occasionally consult with GSIs about using technology in the classroom. The IT-GSICs are part of the GSIC group and receive the same training, participate in monthly meetings at CRLT, and conduct midterm student feedbacks.
All consultants receive training in consulting techniques from CRLT. GSICs are compensated beginning at $22.00 per hour. The scheduling of hours is fairly flexible based on the availability of the GSICs and the needs of the Center. We estimate 1-5 hours per week during the academic year.
We seek to create a diverse GSIC group, which will consist of approximately 25 graduate students from across the University.
The application form for a GSIC or IT-GSIC position is now available. Please visit this page to submit your application.
As part of the application you will be asked about:
- Explain how the position fits with your past experiences, your plan for the coming year, and your goals for the future.
- Discuss how you have developed your teaching on your own, with peers, within your department, campus-wide, or nationally.
- Discuss your experience using technology in teaching or supporting others in using technology.
Applicants are also asked to upload the following documents:
- A C.V. or resume, including a list of courses taught
- Student course evaluations from at least two terms (quantitative and/or qualitative course evaluations; no additional student letters should be solicited)
The deadline for applications is Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. Finalists will be contacted for an interview, which would take place in early April. Decisions will be made in April.
For additional information, see <http://crlt.umich.edu/graduate-student-instructional-consultants-gsics-program>.
For questions about the GSIC program, please contact the GSIC Coordinators (firstname.lastname@example.org).
FAQ: Can I apply if I have taught for one semester and am currently teaching? Yes, if you would have completed two semesters of teaching before Fall 2020, you are welcome to apply!
The University of Michigan, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of Michigan is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions. Inquiries or complaints may be addressed to the Senior Director for Institutional Equity, and Title IX/Section 504/ADA Coordinator, Office of Institutional Equity, 2072 Administrative Services Building, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1432, 734-763-0235, TTY 734-647-1388. For other University of Michigan information call 734-764-1817.