- Armstrong, N., Chang, S., & Brickman, M. (2007). Cooperative learning in industrial-sized biology classes. CBE - Life Sciences Education, 6(2), 163-171.
- Bowen, C. (2000). A quantitative literature review of cooperative learning effects on high school and college chemistry achievement. Journal of Chemical Education, 77(1), 116-119.
- Cockrell, K.S., Caplow, J.A.H., & Donaldson, J.F. (2000). A Context for Learning: Collaborative Groups in the Problem-Based Learning Environment. The Review of Higher Education, 23(3), 347-363.
- Crouch, C.H., & Mazur, E. (2001). Peer instruction: Ten years of experience and results, American Journal of Physics, 69(9), 970-977.
- Dingel, M. J., Wei, W., & Huq, A. (2013). Cooperative learning and peer evaluation: The effect of free riders on team performance and the relationship between course performance and peer evaluation. Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 13(1), 45-56.
- Gillies, R. M., & Boyle, M. (2010). Teachers' reflections on cooperative learning: Issues of implementation. Teaching and Teacher Education: An International Journal of Research and Studies, 26(4), 933-940.
- Grant-Vallone, J. (2011). Successful group work: Using cooperative learning and team-based learning in the classroom. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, 21(4), 99-121.
- Johnson, D.W., Johnson, R.T., & Smith, Karl A. (1991). Active learning: Cooperation in the college classroom. Edina, Minnesota: Interaction Book Company.
- Johnson, D.W., Johnson, R.T., & Smith, Karl A. (1998). Cooperative leaning returns to college: What evidence is there that it works? Change 30(4), 26-35.
- Lou, Y., Abrami, P.C., & D'Apollonia, S. (2001). Small group and individual learning with technology: A meta-analysis. Review of Educational Research, 71(3), 449 -521. (requires U-M authentication).
- Marks, M. B., & O'Connor, A. H. (2013). Understanding students' attitudes about group work: What does this suggest for instructors of business? Journal of Education for Business, 88(3), 147-158.
- McCorkle, D.E., Reardon, J., Alexander, J.F., Kling, N.D., Harris, R.C., Vishwanathan, I.R. (1999). Undergraduate marketing students, group projects, and teamwork: The good, the bad, and the ugly. Journal of Marketing Education, 21(2), 106-117.
- Michaelsen, L. K., & Sweet, M. (2008). The essential elements of team-based learning. New Directions for Teaching and Learning, (116), 7-27.
- Panitz, T. (1999). The motivational benefits of cooperative learning. In M. Theall (Ed.), New Directions for Teaching and Learning: No. 78. The Motivation Within (pp. 59-67). New York: Wiley.
- Shimazoe, J., & Aldrich, H. (2010). Group work can be gratifying: Understanding & overcoming resistance to cooperative learning. College Teaching, 58(2), 52-57.
- Slavin, R.E. (1996). Research on Cooperative learning and achievement: What we know, what we need to know. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 21(1), 43-69. (requires U-M authentication).
- Summers, J.J., Beretvas S.,N., Svinicki M.,D., & Gorin, J.S. (2005) Evaluating collaborative learning and community. The Journal of Experimental Education 73(3), 165-188. (requires U-M authentication).
Prepared by the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching
University of Michigan
Updated October 2014