Questions Frequently Asked by U-M GSIs

Resource Description:


Resource Title:
Questions Frequently Asked by U-M GSIs
Course Type:

Below are some frequently asked questioned by U-M GSIs, along with suggestions for what to do or who to contact for each.

See religious holiday policy.  Preventable: Ask students to inform you of conflicts at beginning of the term.

Counseling and Psychological Services: 734-764-8312,

Talk about other alternatives. Suggest they consult with their academic advisor. Newnan LSA Academic Advising Center: 734-764-0332; Engineering: 734-647-7106; SEAS: 734-764-6453.

See Grades at U-M.

Discuss relevant accommodations with student. Call Services for Students with Disabilities for more info: 734-763-3000.

Suggest that the student call Services for Students with Disabilities to arrange temporary transportation services.

Talk with faculty member. See “Academic Integrity in the Classroom”, and discuss with faculty.

Interrupt behavior. See #7. Preventable: Arrange seating to deter cheating.

Establish clear boundaries with student. Discuss situation with someone in your department. See #10 if necessary.

Office of Institutional Equity, 734-763-0235.

Counseling and Psychological Services: 734-764-8312,, or email

Discuss with faculty member.

Consult with other GSIs and Sweetland Center for Writing (see #15). Discuss with faculty member. See also "Testing and Grading".

Discuss with your department. Preventable: Close class before issuing overrides.

Refer them to the Sweetland Center for Writing, 1310 North Quad, 734-764-0429.

Discuss with your department, athletic department, School of Music, Theatre and Dance.

Call 734-764-9373 or see

Call security: 734-763-1131 (you’ll need to show you are authorized for this classroom) or call your department.

Preventable: Be sure students know of various computing resources. Work with drafts, allow papers to be emailed, and make clear at the beginning of the semester your policy on late papers.

See the CRLT Teaching Strategies and Disciplinary Resources site (