Engaging Students with Active Learning: An Online Workshop
In this online workshop, you will see examples of active learning at U-M, reflect on how these techniques could be applied in your own classroom, and engage with fellow graduate students to address any obstacles to implementing the techniques. Specifically, you will:
- Watch a series of short video clips showing U-M instructors using a variety of teaching and learning activities to engage students in active learning. (about 35 minutes total)
- Write a reflective response to the videos you watched. (suggested length: 400-800 words)
- Read and comment on at least two responses written by other participants. These comments will respond to questions raised by your colleagues.
- Complete an online survey about your experience as a participant.
It should take about 2-3 hours to complete all of the activities.
- Steps 1 and 2 must be completed between Monday, 7/9 and Sunday, 7/15.
- Step 3 must be completed between Monday, 7/16 and Thursday, 7/19.
- Step 4 must be completed between Friday, 7/20 and Monday, 7/23.
Registered participants will receive detailed instructions on how to access the online workshop on Monday, 7/9 when the workshop begins. Completion of all of the activities will count as one workshop toward Requirement B for the Graduate Teacher Certificate.