|Learning about teaching||Instructional practice||Mentorship on teaching||Reflection on instructional practice|
The Certificate documents professional development in five areas:
- attending at least 8 hours of campus-wide or departmental orientation to college teaching and student learning, including sessions on classroom climate and practice teaching;
- exposure to new teaching strategies through seminars and/or courses on teaching and learning;
- experience as a Graduate Student Instructor for at least 2 semesters in a classroom setting at the University of Michigan and receipt of a consultation on classroom teaching from an instructional consultant;
- mentorship on teaching from a faculty member on projects such as preparing, delivering, and receiving feedback on a guest lecture or developing a syllabus for a new course; and
- preparation of a teaching philosophy statement, including receiving feedback from a CRLT instructional consultant or CRLT graduate student instructional consultant.